ONE MAN EXHIBITIONS
2016 – Kelly & Gemelli – Art & Design – Flat Sculptures 2 – for those that don’t have the room
2015 – Kelly & Gemelli – Art & Design – Flat Sculptures 1
2014 – 2015 – Kelly & Gemelli – Art & Design – The sun always shines in San Remo, regardless of authority
2013 – 2014 – Kelly & Gemelli – Art & Design – Ocean Views for the Aesthetic Traveler
2013 – Kelly & Gemelli – Art & Design – Remind me, or 999 lost thoughts or don’t as me I haven’t a clue
2013 – Kelly & Gemelli – Art & Design – Before & After
2013 – Established Kelly & Gemelli – Art & Design, contemporary art gallery & cafe
2007 – Salt – Frankston Arts Centre
2005-2006 – Frankston Arts Centre – Selected works from Whitewater, Loose ends & beginnings, Drawings & Sea and Water series
2004 – Artists Studio Hastings – Whitewater series
2003 – Loose ends … Beginnings STEPS Gallery Carlton
2002 – Selected Drawings – 126 Dryburgh St, North Melbourne
2001 – 126 Dryburgh St – exhibition of recent holospectral art works to launch the artist’s studio/gallery.
2001 – Charles Smith Gallery – Works showing evolution of holospectral technique.
2000 – Charles Smith Gallery – Holographic Works – Sea & Water series.
1999 – Charles Smith Gallery – Selected Exploratory Works (holospectral) Sea & Water series.
1986 – Selected drawings, State Bank of Victoria
1982 – University Club, Melbourne
1979 – Ulmarra Galleries, Ulmarra, NSW
1977 – Downs Gallery, Toowoomba QLD
1976 – Ulmarra Galleries, Ulmarra, NSW & Dunmoochin Cottles Bridge Victoria
1975 – Cameron Galleries, Melbourne & Arlington Gallery, Sydney & Aquinada Gallery, Melbourne
1974 – Victorian Artists Society, Melbourne
1973 – Victorian Artists Society, Melbourne
2005 – Cube 37 – Frankston Arts Centre group exhibition
2005 – “Collision – Text infused art” Burrinja Gallery
2002-03 – Salon De Refuges, Monsalvat
2002 – Invited by Triton Foundation to exhibit selection of holospectral art works at
Innovations@257, Collins St, Melbourne.
2000 – Italiafest, Crown Casino (invitation)
1997-98 – The Art of Gold, Ballarat Fine Art Gallery
1992 – National Gallery of Victoria – invited, with other Australian Italian artists to exhibit selected pieces in conjunction with the Rubens and Italian Renaissance exhibition.
- “Mixed emotions” Old Melbourne Gaol, Melbourne Victoria
1990 – Works on paper and selected Glass Artists, Distelfink Gallery
1989 – Works on Paper, City of Box Hill, Invitation Prize Exhibition
- Australian Glass ’89, Meat Market Crafts Centre, Selected National Glass Exhibition
1987 – Glass in Public Spaces, Westpac Gallery, The Theatres, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne
1985 – Ceramics in Architecture Exhibition, 4th National Ceramics Conference, Melbourne
1982 – Queensland Art Gallery
- Diamond Valley Art Award (Invitation)
- 8th Mildura Sculpture Triennial, Mildura (Invitation)
- Andrew & Lilian Pedorson memorial Prizes
1981 – Geelong Art Gallery, Capital Permanent Award, Geelong (Invitation)
- First Australian Sculpture Triennial, Melbourne (invitation)
- Group exhibition, Ulmarra Galleries, NSW
- Artworkers Union exhibition
1980 – Artworkers Union Exhibition
1974-1979 – Annual exhibition with Contemporary Art Society
2003 – Construction of war memorial for foyer of renovated RSL Dandenong. Commissioned by DL Design Group Architects. Completed June 2003
1998 – 2 major glass murals using laminated glass tiles, containing oxidised metals and
holospectral medium. Commissioned by Wilkinson Fincher Architects, in conjunction with
1997 – Portrait of Ron Finemore, Finemores Pty Ltd, commissioned by Board of Directors
1992 – BNB Menswear store, Melbourne Central Shop Front designed Gold iridescent front 5m x
2m, commissioned Wilkinson Fincher
- Hoyts Theatre, Bourke Street, Melbourne, suspended sculpture stainless steel and mirror
6.5m x 6.5m x 3m, commissioned by Lothian Corporation
- Wall Mural Centrepoint Glass & Mirrored media, 5m x 3m, commissioned by Hassell
- 3 portraits Charlton Wallington & Assoc, Tony Wallington, John Charlton, Ted Charlton, 30”
x 40” Graphite for board room and publication
1991 – War Memorial commissioned by Frankston RSL and erected outside Civic Centre, Davey St, Frankston consisting of 4 relief murals in cold cast bronze.
1989 – Suspended stainless steel and glass sculpture commissioned by John Herniman &
Associates, Architects for private home of Mr Peter Nelson.
- Portrait of Mr Ferdy Boc, Director, Stainless Components
- Painting commissioned by Mr Marcelle Colman, Architect.
1988 – Carved contemporary building in Glass Park Communication, South Melbourne, carved for
Indelible Link, St Kilda.
- Watercolour portrait, Mr G O’Shannessy, Art Director.
- Graphite and watercolour portrait, Mr John Jennings, Hawthorn, Victoria.
- Glass mural, Mr Tony Mole, Kew, Victoria.
- Series of tables and reception desk designs for Consulere, Melbourne.
- Series of watercolours for Mr Tony Mole, Kew, Victoria.
1987 – Series of carved glass portraits, commissioned by SPAL Management Ltd, of American financiers including:
Mark Boyar, President of Mark Boyar & Co; Charles Dreifus, General Partner Lazard Freres & Co;
Julian H Robertson, General Partner of Tiger & Jaguar; Charles Royce, President of Quest
Advisory Corp; Randolph Updyke, General Partner of Updyke Associates
- Brass logo sign for SPAL Management, now combined with McIntosh Asset Management
Ltd, Rialto Building.
- Carved glass logo (2.5m x 1.5m) for Creative Marketing, Port Melbourne.
- Carved glass portrait of My G O’Shannessy, Art Director, Toorak.
- Portrait of Mr Pete London, Director Burdiken Theatre, Queensland.
1986 – Drawings and preliminary costings for multi-media wall mural, Village Roadshow Video, Melbourne.
- Wall sculpture, Sue Wood & Associates, Melbourne
- Wall sculpture, Martin Sax, Melbourne.
- Hanging glass and acrylic sculpture, St Francis Xavier Primary School, Frankston, commissioned by Edmond & Corrigan, Architect.
- Stone sculptures with granite inlay, City of Knox.
- Logo for Belltower Estate Agents, Anthony Wollington, Chartered Acc.
1985 – Consultant to Melbourne City Council for Flemington art and community spaces.
- Portrait for Brain Miller, Manager, B Seppelt and Sons Ltd.
- Design of logo and letterhead, Melbourne Wine Appreciation Club
- Sculpture for City of Knox Community Centre.
1984 – Arts Consultant to Victoria’s 150th Celebrations in conjunction with the Ministry for the Arts, Victoria.
1983 – Mural for University Club, Melbourne.
1982 – Mural, Chaps Menswear, Jam Factory, Prahran, Victoria.
1981 – Photography projects for Caulfield Recreation Centre.
1980 – Mirror mosaic wall at Caulfield Recreation Centre, Caulfield.
WORKS IN COLLECTIONS
- Advent Management Group • James Wilkinson & Alison Fincher, Architects, Melbourne, Victoria
- Mr Mark Boyar, President of Mark Boyar & Co, USA
- Mr Charles Dreifus, General Partner Lazard
Freres & Co, USA
- Mr Julian H Robertson, General Partner of Tiger
& Jaguar, USA
- Mr Charles Royce, President of Quest Advisory
- Mr Randolph Updyke, General Partner of
Updyke Associates, USA
- George Fairfax, Melbourne, Victoria (now estate)
- City of Knox
- Ms Donna Greaves, former Assistant to Ministry of
- Clifton Pugh (now estate)
- Dr John & Mary Kenny, Brighton, Victoria
- Mr Ron Finemore, Finemores Pty Ltd, NSW • Sue Wood & Associates, Melbourne
- LaTrobe University, Melbourne Victoria • Mr Martin Sax, Toorak, Victoria
- Mr Peter Nelson, Nelson Real Estate, Victoria
STUDIES, RESEARCH & WORK TO DATE
2001 – Studies into computer manipulated images to be used in conjunction with holospectral medium.
1998 to date – Commercial development of laminated glass tiles incorporating holospectral medium, 23k gold, silver, and base metals.
1998 – Patent (no. 695839) was granted for holographic technique/medium.
1996 to date – Research with holographic medium to achieve the properties of animation on 2 and 3 dimensional static grounds with multiple points of viewing, where line and form use spectral colour in the presence of white light i.e. spotlight.
1983 – Sandblasting methods of stone and glass at ‘Sandworks’.
1981 – Ceramic casting, mould making and glazing at Caulfield Institute of Technology.
1979 – Welding at Swinburne Technical College.
1978-79 – Ceramics and glazing course, Prahran College of Advanced Education with Daniel Rhodes.
1977-80 – Commercial printing, graphic design, bookbinding and photography at Melbourne College of Printing and Graphic Arts.
1977 – Private study travel in Europe for six months at galleries and museums, attending exhibitions for painting and sculpture, studying antique and contemporary use of mosaic – glass, tesserae and other media.
1977 – Lectures at Woodend Art Society & Diamond Valley Learning Centre
1976 – Paint Technology and Gold Leaf application, Melbourne School of Decoration.
1974 – Plastics course, Liquid Plastics, Melbourne.
1970-73 – SW Hayter’s method of colour etching with Clifton Pugh and Frank Hodgkinson.
PUBLICATIONS & DOCUMENTATION
2003 – Craft Arts International – Profile Spring 2003
2002 – Italy Down Under – Profile Autumn 2002
2001 – Website included in the National Library of Australia’s PANDORA project (archiving print and online media of “national significance”.
- Profile, Domain Magazine supplement, The Age,
- New Home magazine, The Sun Herald, 10th March
2000 – Leader Newspaper, 17th January (front page)
1999 – The Domain supplement, The Age Newspaper, 20th October
- The Sun Herald, 18th October
- Snapshot, ABC TV, 20th October
- Profile in Art Almanac, November issue
- House & garden magazine, November issue
1989 – The Herald Thursday magazine.
1986 – The Age 24th January, Craft review by Marylou Jelbart, Australian Glass
1989 – 7.30 Report ABC 23rd January (table design)
1986 – Australian Association of Glass Artists, September
1986 – Architectural Australia June/July issue, page 48
1985 – Australian Building Magazine, March
1984 – Craft Victoria, October
1983 – Video documentation of mosaic mural at Glendonald School for Deaf Children Kew Victoria – John May, Huntingdale Technical School, Victoria
Activity Therapy Centre, Ferntree Gully, Victoria – Landscape and Sculpture (Community Program) Ministry for the Arts
- Research James Whittaker Memorial Papers – Landscape and Technology.
- Building and Construction Magazine Aug- Sept No 150 (Front page and page 21)
TEACHING, LECTURES AND COMMUNITY WORK
1973 – Dunmoochin Artist’s colony – etching classes.
1977 – Mitcham Primary School – Screen printing and painting workshops
1979 – Brighton Art Group – painting classes
1980 – Private etching classes from studio
1979-81 – Planning programs and classes at Caulfield Recreation Centre
1981-82 – Lecture, Preston Institute of Technology
1982 – Curating craft exhibition – ‘Hands, Feet & Faces’ for Arts Access Society.
1982 – Warrnambool Art Gallery, lecture on community arts
1984 – Art Co-ordinator – Consultant to Victoria’s 150th Celebrations in conjunction with the ministry for the Arts, Victoria
1989-90 – Chisholm institute of Technology, Caulfield Campus, Sessional Teaching Mixed Media
SOCIETIES & COMMITTEES
1985 – Oz Glass Member.
1984 – UNESCO Steering Committee, International Association of Artists.
1979-81 – Chairman Artworkers’ Union: First as Steering Committee Member for formation of Union; Committee Member since inception; Chairman 1980-81. Organised exhibitions,
newsletters, radio broadcasts on 3RRR; organiser of National Conference 1980; Chairman
at Conference organised; organised National Committee Meeting 1981; made grant application to Ministry for the Arts Vic and Visual Arts Board. Grant received from Ministry for the Arts for 1981.
1977-81 – Delegate to Conference of Art Societies: for Contemporary Art Society until 1979, for
Artworkers’ Union since 1980.
1974-79 – Contemporary Art Society of Victoria, Council member, Secretary 1975. Organiser of annual exhibitions 1978-79. Formed groups of artists to establish artist-run gallery and learning centre, including lectures, seminars and workshops
2000 – Artist’s website www.adriangemelli.com.au containing cross section of artist’s works. Created in conjunction with Partner, Lynne Kelly.
2001 – Design and production of CD-ROM to create further public awareness of holospectral art works
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
1996-2001 – Self-funded research with holographic medium to achieve the properties of animation on 2 and 3 dimensional static grounds with multiple points of viewing, where line and form use spectral colour in the presence of light.
1998 – Patented granted (no. 695839) for holospectral technique. (Patent attorney – Michael
Squires, Phillips Ormonde & Fitzpatrick)
Note: Prior to the granting of the patent, works created using this technique could not be sold. Selling of works or public display would have invalidated the patent.
1998 – Further development of holospectral technique to enable its use in laminated glass tiles for sculpture and architectural use.